Ghusal Tartibi — غسل ترتیبی کس طرح کرنا ہے
Obligatory baths (Ghusl) » Tartibi (sequential) by Ayatollah Ali Sistani
367. In this method, a person should first make a niyyat for Ghusl. Thereafter one should first wash one’s head and neck, and thereafter the remaining parts of one’s body. It is better that one washes the right part of the body first and then the left part. And if a person, while standing under the water, jerks each of these parts on one’s body with an intention of performing Tartibi Ghusl, it will not be sufficient and the precaution is that one should not content oneself with it. And if a person washes the body before washing the head, either intentionally, or on account of forgetfulness or because of not knowing the rule, Ghusl is void.
368. If a person washed the body before the head it will not be necessary to repeat the bath. What one has to do is to wash the body again and Ghusl will then be correct.
369. In order to ensure that both the parts (head, neck and remaining parts of the body) have been washed thoroughly one should, while washing a part, also include some portion of the other part with it.
370. After the Ghusl, if a person realises that certain parts of the body have been left out, not knowing which, it will not be necessary to wash the head again. One will wash only those parts of one’s body which one feels had not been washed.
371. If one realises after Ghusl that one has not washed a certain part of the body it is sufficient to wash only that part if it is the left side. However, if that part is the right side then the recommended precaution is that after washing that part of the body one should wash the left side again. And if the unwashed part is that of head and neck one should, after washing that part, wash the body once again.
372. If a person doubts before completing Ghusl whether one has washed a part on the left or right side it will be necessary to wash that part and if one doubts about having washed a part of the head and neck then, as an obligatory precaution, one would wash that part and then wash the right and the left side of the body again.